Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Carrying the Net

    Would I have carried the net? Would I be willing to risk the questions? How practical would it really be? I kept telling myself that there was no way I could pull that off. And the only people I would really see would be my family. Well, and my co-workers, but I couldn’t really carry it while I worked, could I? The orthodontist’s office, my martial arts class, and the four day road trip I am going to be taking; I suddenly realized how many people I would interact with this week. 

     Allow me to explain the situation to you all. Our Sunday School class is held in a section of the gymnasium right under the basketball net. At the beginning of class, our teacher/youth pastor asked a couple of our taller guys to stand on one of the tables to take the net off the basketball hoop. He was going to buy a new basketball net the next day, so this one was disposable. But rather than throwing it away, our youth pastor asked for volunteers. I personally thought He was going to use someone as a demonstration and tie them up with the net, or something else equally ridiculous. A few raised their hands immediately, but our youth pastor smiled, and reminded them not to volunteer for something they knew nothing about. He then proceeded to explain his purpose. This week one volunteer would carry the net at all times. If anyone asked him about the net, he would be reminded of Jesus commissioning His disciples to be fishers of men. (Basketball net, fishing net, apparently it's the same difference.) Then the person would explain this, and would also explain the gospel. Even if no one asked about the net, it would still remind him to be looking for opportunities. 




   
We actually had three volunteers, though some of them may have volunteered before they knew exactly what they were going to do. After our youth pastor led us in prayer, we all kept our eyes closed and silently voted for which of the volunteers we would have carry the net this week. I talked to the girl who had the most votes later, and she seemed surprised and somewhat regretful that she had received the most votes. She didn’t know why they voted for her, and she seemed apprehensive. I don’t blame her! I tried to encourage her, but what I didn’t tell her was that I had also voted for her. Not because I thought that she would necessarily have the most impact in her efforts, or that she would always present the gospel with clarity. But because she is one of my friends, and I desired for her to be challenged in this way. Yes, the other volunteers would have been challenged as well. But I have seen her grow. I have seen her passion when we were working together internationally. I don’t want her to lose that, and I really do think that she’ll grow this week. 

     As I mentioned previously, there were a lot of excuses and justifications that went through my mind, even while our youth pastor was explaining the purpose of the challenge. I mentally kept my hand down, refusing to volunteer. I thought I had the right to decline. I did not need to participate. I had responsibilities. It wasn’t practical. 
     
      Now, I realize how sad this was. It’s not just about the net. It’s not about this one week challenge. I now understand that my excuses have become characteristic of my life and of my response regarding opportunities to share the gospel. I have become accustomed to keeping silent. I'm a generally quiet person anyway, but I have no excuse. I say that I desire for others to know Christ and to experience His eternal gift, but I am not willing to introduce others to Him! 

     This is my challenge. To not only share the gospel when I have a visible reminder or a badge that everyone asks about. I feel that some Christians wait around for others to ask them why they're different, yet they aren't acting any different than the world! They are going through the motions. I don't want to be like that. 

     I want to be willing to carry the net. Will you join me?



Do you have any ways you remind yourself to share the gospel? Or do you have any questions about Christ, the gospel, or Christianity?  We would love to talk with you. We would also love to know how we can pray for you!  Please use our contact form or comment below! :)

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a really fantastic message.(: Thanks for posting, it was super encouraging!

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure that your comments are appropriate and mature, as well as respectful of others' viewpoints. We welcome your feedback and discussion, but will delete any inappropriate comments.