Wednesday, March 27, 2013

*Carried* the Net

Part 2 of Carrying the Net

Well, I did it.  I volunteered to carry the net.   Actually, I wore the net most of the time as a scarf.  ‘Twas much more convenient when working, and I didn’t lose it or leave it somewhere quite so often.  ;)  I apologize now for not taking a picture of myself wearing the net, as I had planned to do.
Anyway, it was an interesting week!  What was most interesting was how quickly it passed.  I worked three days, went to a school musical and a school play,  went to music lessons, and of course went to church and youth group.   

Less than two hours after I had the net, and before I had decided to wear the net, I walked in to Subway with my fellow muse Thalia, and the lady at the counter immediately asked “So, did you win the game?!”  I gave her a blank stare until she motioned to my net, and proceeded to chuckle and explain to her my purpose for carrying the net.  Because I chose to wear the net the rest of the week rather than carry it around, I think I got more comments.  One person thought I was excited about March Madness, and another very basketball-coach-looking guy commented on the net, saying “That’s a net! Is that a net?!”  Ok, the basketball coach part is just a hunch. ;)  Another sweet lady with whom I am acquainted commented saying, “Oh, did you make that?  Those types of scarves are coming into style now!”  Another somewhat outspoken girl at my library asked bluntly, “[My name], why are you wearing netting as a scarf?”   The weird looks I got were a little more amusing at times.  And of course my immediate and church families commented on the net, though they already knew full well why I was wearing it.  

It wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be, which kind of worries me.  I could again question my motivation for wearing the net, saying that I just wanted to get “my turn” over with, or that I did my part.  I really did want this to push me out of comfort zone, which in some ways it did.  But this past week also challenged me to reflect on my responses.   It was very tempting to simply explain that I was wearing it as “a part of a Sunday School challenge, to remind us to be fishers of men, and to share the gospel.”  And most of the time, that’s what I ended up doing!  As soon as I said that, people would politely nod, or say “Oh! I get it now!”  But that doesn’t mean they got the gospel.  The one slightly outspoken girl said “Oh, I get it now.” but also commented “I love God, but I have a job.”  That was a doorway into another discussion, but unfortunately it didn’t include the clear gospel of Jesus Christ.  Why is it so hard to insert the gospel message into everyday conversation, versus going onto a street corner to hand out tracts or hosting a church outreach?    

The one odd thing that I noticed is that my few co-workers never commented on the net.  Although I’m sure a few of them heard me explain the purpose to some of the patrons, I was never able to explain it to them or to share the gospel with them.  But on Friday, I was able to have a conversation with one of my older co-workers during our lunch break.  She is one that I believe to be a Christian.  She never commented on the net, but I did have a conversation with her about some things from her past.  She questioned why some bad things happen such as divorce, miscarriages, and the death of children - all of which I have also questioned!  But God allowed for me to talk with her about God’s goodness even in those struggles, and how I have learned to trust Him through difficult times.  

I may not have been able to sit down with someone and explain the gospel to them.  But I do pray that those who I came into contact with will remember the weird girl with the basketball net.  And most of all, I pray I will remember the lessons I’ve learned through this!  It doesn’t mean I had exactly the results I would have liked, but I stilled learned from the experience.  :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you! ^.^ Sounds like a pretty cool experience.(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks for the encouragement, Jenn!! :) It was definitely cool. Different. But cool. :)

      Delete

Please make sure that your comments are appropriate and mature, as well as respectful of others' viewpoints. We welcome your feedback and discussion, but will delete any inappropriate comments.