Monday, February 4, 2013

The Bowl

You know, that exceptional one.

       I am so very appreciative to Junior Josie, who asked me about my football beliefs. Someone who wants to know!  For, as previously mentioned, my fellow muses are less than enthusiastic about football. :(  So, I'll tell what I think about the grand game of football and the Super Bowl.

      I enjoy old fashioned football, with rough play, rivalries, and a sense of camaraderie  The Super Bowl is a little too commercialized  hyped-up, and has a ridiculous halftime "show."  I was able to avoid watching most of the halftime spectacle, but what I did see made me cringe. Is this how America is best represented? Is this who we are supposed to hold up to our youth as role models?  But lately I've been realizing that instead of complaining, I should be praying for God's help for our nation and how I can make a change, whether big or small. 




      The Ravens deserved to win.  Not that they won handily, but with it being Lewis' last season... I also respect Coach John more than Coach Jim. My team has had several - okay one - unfortunate encounter with Jim. Which, if you're a pro football trivia collector, would be the Lions. Yes, I cheer for the double "L" - Losing Lions. But miracles do happen. 


     I usually get to watch more pro football than college football, but I do also enjoy some good old fashioned college rivalries.  I'm a Michigan Wolverines fan, so I really hope you aren't an Ohio State fan. Or a Notre Dame fan.  But, in Christian love, I will forgive you if that is the case. ;)

      Well, I'd better end this rambling that has probably bored most of you to tears.  But if I end it with food, is that okay? Everyone loves food! I had hoped to post this before the Super Bowl so you could enjoy it then, but desserts are good to eat anytime! This is a snack that has been a hit in our house for a couple years now, hope you enjoy it!

  Aunt Helen's Toffee Snack Squares:

          Ingredients: Saltine Crackers
                            1 Cup of Butter (NOT Margarine)
                            1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar
                            12 oz. Chocolate Chips
                            Chopped Nuts (optional)

          Place the saltine crackers on a foil or parchment paper covered cookie sheet.
          Bring the butter and brown sugar to a boil in a saucepan. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring constantly.
          Pour over crackers and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. No longer though!
          Melt chocolate chips and spread over the crackers. Add the nuts if you want.
          Refrigerate for 45 minutes and then break into pieces. (At our house, that time gets fudged a little ;) )
Before the family finds them.


Afterwards. Yum!!

P.S. If you have time, here's a link to another prayer provoking post about the Superbowl. Father God and the Super Bowl

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Thank you for enlightening me on your football beliefs! It was very interesting. =)
    And no, I most certainly am not an Ohio State or Notre Dame fan. I am a K-State fan, through and through! We did pretty good this year, too, come to think of it!
    Yum; those toffee snack squares look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it interesting. I know some people *cough* Calliope *cough* don't at all. Yay! Go K-State!! I can work with that. 'Specially since you aren't SEC. Yes, you did really quite well, and I was rooting for you to go all the way! The snack squares are, trust me. :D

      Delete
    2. Yes... I don't really care about football. BUT I did enjoy the game! I think I detest Super Bowl parties where no one watches the game more than football itself. Does that redeem me? ;)

      Delete

Please make sure that your comments are appropriate and mature, as well as respectful of others' viewpoints. We welcome your feedback and discussion, but will delete any inappropriate comments.