Thursday, July 11, 2013

Story

Hi all!

So, this is a scheduled post, and we'll see how it works out. I'm kinda skeptical.

This is just a small post, and I feel obligated to make one because Clio has been camping, Thalia has been at camp, and Calliope just has a lot on her plate. Then there's little ol'e me, just slacking off.

This is my white-water rafting story.

We get to Convention on Sunday, and there are sign-up sheets everywhere, for everything. Our youth pastor wants our whole group to go white water rafting! YAY. Joy abounding. Totally my cup of tea. NOT. Anyway, I sign up, and pay, you know, the works. Well, I get to "look forward" to it all week, 'cause our group signed up for Friday!

I stay pretty distracted most of the week, because Convention is always jam-packed. Friday finally rolls around, and I'm kinda regretting it. The whole time I run the 5k in the morning, I'm freaking out about white water rafting later. I have barely any time in between 5k, session, lunch, and then rafting, so that kinda helps, yet doesn't. See, I stress about everything under the sun. EVERYTHING. So, the speed of my day assisted to form less stress, but then I'm stressing because I don't have time to make sure everything is perfect. *sigh*

As were getting life jackets, paddles, and helmets, our lead guide is reading us the riot act. He goes over what to do if you fall out, if someone else falls out, the EXTREME danger involved, and various other encouraging scenarios. Which actually didn't encourage me. Shock. Well, we basically all get told that we're going to die. And at this point, I'm really wishing that I could back out. (I'm glad I didn't) But we all happily pile on the bus for a half-hour, winding trip to where we enter the river. I start getting nauseous about half-way. Probably a lovely combination of nerves, bus-sickness, and my brilliant decision to do the 5k. So far, I'm NOT enjoying this.

We get out, get our guide (who was awesome), and drag the raft down to the river. Smart remarks are just filling the air, 'cause we are all a little nervous, and some of us are on an adrenaline high. Then we pile in and start the journey to our deaths. (Kidding) We go shooting through the first rapid, and I'm thinking that yeah, I definitely should have bailed out earlier. Then our guide explains that that was only a class two rapid. Out of five. o.O After that horrifying experience we're told that you can swim through the next one. Yay! I decided to risk it. Go big or go home right? I did so, lived, and got back on the raft to mentally prepare for the rest of the rapids, because we're supposed to be out there for a couple hours.

There were a couple times when I screamed for fun, then there were I couple times when I wasn't screaming for fun. Only one girl on our whole tour fell out, but she was pulled right back in. So, to sum it all up; I was freaked out about going, but I LOVED it. I think I'd do it again if I got the chance. There is a lesson to all of this, by the way. I didn't just regale you with my epic to bore you. ;) At one point in the river the guide stopped  and did a small devo, she shared her testimony, and then asked if we had anything to share. I told my boat what I'm about to share with you. I'm really big on having control of a situation, and the people in it. (Just ask my youth group) Sometimes this means that I start being really bossy, try to do everything on my own, and in general dislike people because I can't pre-program them. Funny thing is that I couldn't control white water rafting, but I lived through it! Not by anything that I did, but following my guide's instructions. I was really challenged to apply this to my spiritual life. To give God control over everything, and trust that He actually is God over every situation, big or small. As long as I'm following His "directions", He'll be in control. In fact, even when I mess-up, and try to do it on my own, He's still in complete control. Which means that I not only don't have to worry, but I shouldn't worry.

Maybe that's something you struggle with too, but if not, save that lesson, because at some point in your life you'll be tempted to worry, I guarantee it.
Erato

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make sure that your comments are appropriate and mature, as well as respectful of others' viewpoints. We welcome your feedback and discussion, but will delete any inappropriate comments.